nell makes me all kinds of happy.
01. been doing a whole lot of writing, a whole lot of reading, not much blogging (obviously)
02. i recently quit tweeting. do you realise how miraculous this is? those first few days were painful.
03. jaurim’s ninth! and busker busker’s 2nd!
04. finally, finally went to hear the new york philharmonic — and to hear the new york philharmonic performing beethoven’s ninth no less. it was fucking sublime — there’s just no other way to describe it. then i went back a few days later to hear dvorak’s eighth. trying to scrounge together funds to go hear mozart’s requiem in a few weeks and already have tickets to hear handel’s messiah in december. it’s an autumn of choral music for me, and i think that’s pretty damn fantastic.
05. headed back to LA the last week of november. tacos and korean food galore!
06. almost done with this book. almost ready to start querying it. someone, love it, please, love it and buy it and publish it. sigh. my goal is still the same — to sell my book to a good house and leave the country to see the world. i don’t know if it’s necessarily realistic, but copenhagen + london + paris is happening in 2014, somehow in some way. and it’d be better if i could throw in seoul + sapporo in december 2014, too, but we’ll see — let’s finish this book first.
07. when’s nell coming back with the third part of gravity???
hey, no prob! if i link you to this folder, can you see/download the scans there? if not, let me know, and i’ll upload them to mediafire or something.
i didn’t actually scan the photobook itself because the book is really sturdy/nice and i didn’t want to wreck it, so these are just the postcards that came in the box. sorry! i wish i could scan the photobook, though … ):
but i hope this helps! (:
mmm, i’m telling you — back views!
(and side views.)
(and hand views.) (musicians tend to have the loveliest hands.) (he has lovely hands.)
[photos from will u stay with me.]
(i left jong-wan here the last time i went to san francisco, so here you go again.)
i’ve got a thing for back views. i don’t know why — i think it has to do with how solid and warm someone’s back feels, so there’s a sense of comfort and security in an image of someone’s back.
and, yes, well, a bias is a bias is a bias — good night.
[photos from willustaywithme.]
in los angeles for the next three weeks or so — my flight was delayed for 2.5 hours last night, but i made it out safe and sound despite the insane turbulence that had my stomach plummeting at times like it does on roller coasters. it was fun in a way, and the rest of the flight wasn’t so bad, although i think the last two hours on this cross-country flight are the worst, but i finished the rough first translation of the second of jong-wan’s radio dj spots on blue night, so, as far as i’m concerned, that was a great plane ride.
nell nell nell — every so often, sometimes, when i’m listening to nell, i just think, wow. what fucking great music. had one of those on the flight yesterday, too, because i zoned out for the last hour or so, listening to music via noise-canceling headphones, and, goddamn, “afterglow” tugs my heart in just the right ways. and “boy-x” is so fantastic and contemptuous. and, oh, “haven” — gah, “haven.” maybe i’ll make a list of my favourite nell songs.
of course, though, that moment of wow. what fucking great music isn’t brought on only by nell. vienna teng’s “recessional” always settles around me in a great heart-numbing way, and radiohead’s “2+2=5(the lukewarm)” is perfectly unsettling and puts me in great headspace, and i swear mot’s “close” is the sexiest song ever. actually eaeon is generally awesome at those heavy, throbbing sounds that seem to distort time.
haaaa, i wonder if any of that makes sense. anyway, it’s 00:40 a.m. los angeles time and 03:40 a.m. my time, which means it’s bedtime. anyway, so, i’m in los angeles for three weeks, and, so far, i’ve had diner food with one of my favourite people then tacos with another of my favourite people then sushi with the parents, and it’s looking like i’m getting my road trip after all! except we’ll be desert-bound (looking at az + ut + nv!), which is awesome because i’ve had this thing for the desert for a while, and, of course, i’d head out there in july …!
i know it hurts you when i fucking shiver
well, trust me —
i was such a strong believer
but what’s the point of searching for that halo?
my eyes are blinded,
and my heart is shallow
it’s getting worse and worse as i think deeper
it’s just like staring at a burning river
well, now, it’s time to stop —
just pull the trigger
i want to end it all.
i want it over.
i’m trying to write out my thoughts about this mini, except i’m failing because i’m still reeling from “haven.”